As a rule, man is a fool / When it's hot, he wants it cool / When it's cool, he wants it hot /
Always wanting what it's not, / Never wanting what he's got.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Fun in Philly - Day 1, Tuesday

When I found out that Robert was going on two business trips back-to-back, I tried to figure out how I was going to single parent for two weeks AND keep my sanity (props to those who do it on a regular basis). Then I got a fare alert from Travelocity that tickets to Philly were $150 each! I figured my sanity was worth at least $300, so Emily and I went to Pennsylvania to see my parents while Robert went to Miami to "work".

Day 1 - Tuesday, November 5

Our flight left early Tuesday morning, so I had to wake up Emily crazy early. I was a little nervous because waking up a toddler has the potential to make them grumpy all day. Fortunately, when I woke up Emily she practically popped out of bed. She was SO excited to go to "delphia".

Robert dropped us off at the airport and we got through security and to our gate with no problems. This gave us plenty of time for breakfast.


Dickies BBQ was right next to our gate, so we stopped in and had omelets (me) and pancakes (her). I know, I know, what was I thinking, letting her have syrupy pancakes right before getting on an airplane?! I obviously wasn't thinking, but I was able to get her all cleaned up before we boarded.



She was pretty good on the airplane. No hysterics. However, I am the sort of person that is not opposed to bribing a child when they are in a difficult situation. For example, confining a toddler to a tiny square of real estate and telling them to be quiet for three or four hours. I am also the sort of person that bribes myself to make it through difficult situations, so gummy bears for everyone!

Grammy picked us up from the airport. Emily was excited/nervous to see her again. She warmed up, while Grammy and I wrestled with the stupid car seat for 20 minutes. [Before a car can go on the market, a car designer/manufacturer should have to install a car seat in the pick-up lane at the airport. Because, if they had tried it, they never would have designed it that way. Dummies.] 

Emily just couldn't wait to see Aunt Carrie, so we stopped in Philadelphia to pick her up for lunch at a local diner. It was average diner food, but at least they had chocolate milk. Emily wasn't quite satisfied with how long it was taking them to bring her food and kept saying, "Where's my wunch?"


Carrie had to work that evening, so we dropped her off and drove on to Grammy's house. After we got all the luggage in and went upstairs to say hi to Papa, we went downstairs and dragged out all of the boxes of toys. Emily discovered my old baby doll and fell in love.

Rock-a-bye baby.


Her eyes are the blinking kind: open when she sits up....


....closed when she lays down. Emily thought that was pretty cool.


Emily took few minutes to do some more coloring with her Water Wow coloring book. Emily and I both love this thing. You color the pictures with a brush that has a little water reservoir in it (comes with the book). When you get the pictures wet, the colors and more details show up. After the pictures dry, you can paint them again. Over and over and over. Forever. Best airplane toy ever.


Grammy and Papa had a short meeting at the church that night, so we tagged along. We wandered around the building for a little while. We finally scored big when we found some balls and toy cars left in the gym. That was enough to keep us entertained for a while.


What a busy day with my girl. We are so excited to spend so much time with our Philadelphia family.

1 comment:

  1. Brave mom for giving her syrup before the flight, definitely... I love the picture of you two on the plane though, looking so happy and excited!

    ReplyDelete